2022 Stephen Minsters at Centenary Church
Would you like to speak with a Stephen Minister? Contact the Church Office at (209)527-5441 and ask for a Stephen Minster Coordinator to contact you.
Please scroll down to find information on the following topics:
- What is Stephen Ministry?
- Who are Care Receivers?
- Who are Stephen Ministers?
- How does Stephen Ministry work?
- How do I contact Centenary Church Stephen Ministry?
- History of Stephen Ministry
- Centenary is part of Stephen Ministry, a nationwide organization based in St. Louis that equips local churches to provide Christian caregiving.
- Centenary’s Stephen Ministers provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to people experiencing various life challenges or crises.
- Stephen Ministers are trained to provide emotional and spiritual care for those in need.
- Stephen Ministers are not professional counselors. Their goal is not to “fix” but to listen, encourage and support those who are going through crises, challenges, or difficult life situations.
- Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. The identity of those receiving care and what takes place in each caring relationship remain private.
- Stephen Ministry places men with men and women with women.
- For more information go to Stephen Ministry website stephenministries.org Then click on “What is a Stephen Minister?” and watch the video.
Who are Care Receivers?
- Care receivers are people—congregation members and others in the community–who are going through any one of a number of difficult life situations, including such things as:
- Loss of loved one
- Serious health issues
- Terminal illness
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Job loss
- Spiritual crisis
- Many other challenges
- Care receivers meet with their assigned Stephen Minister once a week for approximately one hour.
- Care receivers know that what they say to their Stephen Minister will be held in confidence.
- For more information see videos: Care Receiver Stories: stephenministries.org/stories
Who Are Stephen Ministers?
- Stephen Ministers are men and women from our church family who are trained to come alongside those who are hurting to help them through their time of need.
- Our Stephen Ministers have received 50 hours of initial training on providing emotional and spiritual care. They continue to receive additional training twice a month.
- They meet one hour per week with their care receivers, for as long as there is a need.
- They meet one-to-one , men with men and women with women.
- They are not professional counselors. Their goal is not to “fix” the person’s situation, but to come alongside to listen, encourage and support as the care receiver moves through their difficult time.
- The relationship between Stephen Minister and care receiver is confidential.
- For more information: stephenministries.org Then click on “What is a Stephen Minister” and watch the video.
How does Stephen Ministry work?
- If you or someone you know could benefit from a Stephen Minister, please contact the church office at 527-5441 or email Stephen Minister at firstname.lastname@example.org
History of Stephen Ministry
- Stephen Ministry was founded in 1975 in St. Louis, Missouri. To find out more go to stephenministries.org/aboutus
- Stephen Ministry at Centenary Church started in 2007.
- We currently have two Stephen Leaders and 6 trained Stephen Ministers.